By Elly Kobach
The Certified Snow Professional program has undergone some big changes in the past year and a half, and we think it's time for an update for you all. The first major change came over a year ago, when SIMA announced that the CSP exam is now available to take online at testing centers across the US and Canada. Candidates can sign up for an exam date/location at any time throughout the year, making it widely available to people. While this was a positive change, it has been a challenge for some to commit to a test date without the structure of preset exam dates under the previous in-person testing model.
With that in mind, this year we developed a study calendar for CSP candidates to follow, with informational webinars, application deadlines, and a study review session at the 16th Annual Snow & Ice Symposium. Following the calendar plan will allow candidates to easily get all the information they need to apply and take the exam, with the ultimate goal of being certified by late summer/early fall 2013.
Dates for webinars, deadlines, and the study session are:
- Wednesday, February 13, 2013 at 2pm EST - Free webinar to welcome those interested in becoming a CSP in 2013
- Monday, April 1, 2013 - Applications due to the SIMA office
- Tuesday, April 16, 2013 at 11am EST - Free webinar to discuss setting an exam date and available study resources
- Friday, June 21, 2013 from 9:15am-1:15pm - Study session at the 16th Annual Snow & Ice Symposium in Minneapolis, MN
- Monday, July 22, 2013 - Goal date for tests scheduled
We hope this will provide some good structure and study review for those wishing to become a CSP in 2013. For more information or to get on a reminder email list, visit here or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Elly Kobach is the Certification & Communications Coordinator for the Snow & Ice Management Association and can be reached at Ellen@sima.org.