'Our ultimate goal is to build relationships with National media in the US and Canada to foster greater awareness about snow management and its value to society.'
In December, SIMA kicked off the 2013-2014 awareness campaign for snow professsionals. The Impact of Snow campaign is designed to provide safety and tips tied to living life in winter, and our ultimate goal is to build relationships with National media in the US and Canada to foster greater awareness about snow management and its value to society.
We struck gold as December 2013 proved to be an early-onset winter for many areas in North America, and significant snow and ice storms really showed us the continued need for good information tied to winter weather. Here are some of the highlights so far:
- Phill Sexton, Director of Education and Outreach, chatted live on The Weather Channel about walking safely on ice, watch it here:
- Glenn Beck, the national radio host, made fun of SIMA's tips while reading them out loud to millions of viewers. While we weren't excited that Glenn poked fun at us, we actually were happy that so many people could hear our message and think twice about wearing those high heels or slippers before going out in winter weather. Thanks Glenn!
- Ian Ashby, SIMA member and 2013 Volunteer of the Year, was featured on a national television station, talking about safe walking on ice and snow and highlighting the value of professional snow management. Read the article here.
- Brian Birch, SIMA's Chief Operating Officer, shared tips with the Lifestyle section of the Washington Post to further spread the word about wearing proper footwear in winter. Read that article here.
- Martin Tirado, SIMA's CEO, participated in multiple radio interviews spreading the good word about safe walking on ice and snow. He was heard in Washington DC, Michigan, and Kansas City via major radio outlets in those areas.
- Social spotlight: We posted a simple graphic (see below) thanking snow professionals for their hard work on Facebook...35 people shared it and about the same number gave it a thumbs up, so we got that message out to 2500+ people.
Overall, SIMA has confirmed almost 20 media placements since we kicked off the campaign in late November. We will continue to put the message out there to the public, email Brian@sima.org if you have any ideas on how to do that.