Remember 2001? It was a year of many exciting things...Harry Potter, the Segway, the iPod, *NSYNC. And don’t forget...SIMA launched its first training video: Basic Snowplowing Techniques. After the initial success of that video, SIMA produced six more, and they became the de facto industry standard for basic and refresher snow training. But the snow industry has grown and changed. Our videos began to have a certain retro feel and needed a revamp. Instead of trying to redo them one by one over a long period of time, SIMA completely redesigned them all at once. The new SIMA Training Video Series, which includes six videos, was launched in late summer 2017, and includes:
- Snowplowing Safety & Preparation: This video is designed to introduce snowplow operators to basic snowplowing principles and general techniques, including preseason preparations and checks, transporting the plow and general plowing tips and techniques.
- Essential Snowplowing Techniques: This video concentrates on commercial snow removal operations. It assumes the operator has received basic training, knows safety issues and has experience in clearing driveways and other properties. It includes equipment and safety, techniques and obstacles, and plow scenarios.
- NEW! Snow Site Engineering and Planning: This video walks through the process of planning and implementing a site engineering strategy; to increase safety and efficiency; and to identify key obstacles, priorities and hazards prior to the snow season.
- Containment Snow Plows and Pushers: This video provides practical and strategic operations, including benefits of using a containment plow, operator safety and troubleshooting on-site issues.
- Sidewalk Clearing of Snow and Ice: This video highlights key safety issues and techniques needed to use shovels and snow blowers. It includes guidelines for dressing appropriately, health and wellness tips, shoveling techniques, and snowblower safety and techniques.
- Skid Steer Loaders and Compact Equipment: This video covers a range of topics, including site application, attachments, techniques, safety, training and preventive maintenance. Other topics include equipment advantages, common mistakes and tips and bidding help.
Training video series at-a-glance
- Number of training videos 6
- All new video footage, including use of drones
- Residential and commercial items addressed
- Available streaming in the SIMA Training Center, on DVD or both
- Includes simple quizzes for training documentation
- Most videos are available in Spanish
- Average length of each video 30 minutes