Last week, SIMA and sponsors Caterpillar, BOSS Snowplow, and RAM Trucks produced the sixth annual Snow Safety Week. With 2 webinars, numerous articles, and several Facebook live videos, Snow Safety Week was successful in providing quality, helpful information on a variety of safety-related topics.
As we move into the winter season, safety information is timely and very important for all snow professionals to remember. View some of the highlights from Snow Safety Week below:
Did you miss a webinar? View the recordings for free!
Dear Snow Contractor: You are more at risk for slipping and falling than anyone else! View now
SIMA recently surveyed the industry to understand what the most common types of accidents that result in injuries, lost work time, and ultimately workman’s comp claims are. Over 50% of injuries reported were the result of slipping and falling, the very thing the industry is out there trying to help reduce! Walk through the survey results and a job safety analysis of several hazardous scenarios.
Managing the threat of workplace conflict
What happens when two employees don’t get along, and things escalate toward emotional or physical violence? Taking proactive steps in policy, and coaching yourself in dealing with conflict in general, can go a long way to keeping all your employees safe.
Check out some of the highlights from our Snow Safety Week articles:
- Identifying areas of pedestrian peril: Learn areas where pedestrians are most likely to slip & fall during winter weather.
- Safety doesn’t have to come at a price: Learn 5 easy and affordable ways to implement training in your snow company.
- Managing conflict in the workplace: Review steps to help you start building a workplace safety program.
- Drug testing policies in snow & ice: Does your company have drug testing programs and policies in place?
- Combatting “safety is for wimps” mindset: Start investing in a people-first safety culture.
- Eliminate distracted driving: Implement a safe driving program to ensure the safety of your employees.
- Sleep debt and its impact on your body: Recognize the impacts of sleep deprivation and tips on how to recoup lost time.
- Employee safety best practices: Download a training sheet to reinforce personal safety in the field.
- To go, or not to go: Long hours without a break can cause health problems you may have not considered.
- Hygiene during heinous storms: Set your team up for success in the field by giving them space and time to recharge.
- Using lockout/tagout concepts: The principles of lockout/tagout offer solid footing for you to train your team on potentially dangerous situations.
Check out SIMA's Facebook event page to see video interviews with SIMA members as they discuss safety at their companies.
Visit here to see all the articles from last week, and thank you to everyone who participated and helped create another successful Snow Safety Week!