‘With a webinar on snow fighter safety, articles, videos and discussion topics, Snow Safety Week was successful in providing quality, helpful information on a variety of safety-related topics.’
By Ellen Kobach
Last week, SIMA, Plowsite.com, and sponsors Boss Snowplows and Progressive Insurance produced the third Snow Safety Week at GoPlow.com. With a webinar on snow fighter safety, articles, videos and discussion topics, Snow Safety Week was successful in providing quality, helpful information on a variety of safety-related topics.
As we move into the winter season, safety information is timely and very important for all snow professionals to remember. View some of the highlights from Snow Safety Week below:
- Drink safely while plowing snow - Popular energy drinks on the market may be more harmful than helpful. Read why and how to make safe drink choices while spending long nights plowing snow.
- Teaching crews to walk safely on snow and ice - Read tips on how to teach crews to walk safely on snow and ice to avoid potential slip and falls on slick surfaces, as well as some general tips on safe winter walking.
- Video: Winter Services pre-trip safety inspection - Mike Frazier, Director of Operations for Winter Services, demonstrates how to perform a pre-trip safety inspection on a truck and plow.
- Shoveling snow safely - Read tips on how to empower sidewalk crews to use good, safe shoveling practices to avoid injury or fatigue.
- Recognizing the signs of a heart attack - Train your snow & ice team to know symptoms and warning signs of a heart attack and what to do if anyone experiences heart attack symptoms.
- Video: Backing up vehicles safely - View a video with 5 important tips for backing up vehicles safely, including properly equipping your vehicle and using mirrors correctly.
- Creating a snow safety manual - View a safety manual checklist and read tips on how to create a manual that outlines your company's commitment to safety.
- In case of emergency - Read a list of emergency best practices and how to make sure your company is prepared to manage an employee emergency incident.
- Personal protective equipment for snow - Review tips on keeping snow employees safe in the field, including providing the correct personal protective equipment.
- Creating a first aid kit for your snow crews - Review the items that should be in an emergency first aid kit for your snow & ice crews.
- Snow hauling and dumping safety - Snow hauling and relocation is a highly choreographed exercise with many moving parts - review these safety tips specific to snow hauling & dumping.